The European Referee Commission is running a Junior Referee Academy. The Academy has been set up to ensure the future of Referees for the European game. It will encourage and foster development and training towards Level 2 refereeing.
This initiative will introduce refereeing Touch to young adults aged 14 to 18 (Particpants must have been no younger than 14 and not yet 18 as at September 1 2013). The programme will initially be set up as a pilot scheme and is currently based in Llanelli, Pontypridd, Cardiff and London in coordination with the WTA and the ETA. It is fully intended to share the development and resources with other NTA's in the future.
This is an exciting initiative aimed at raising participation levels of Junior Referees throughout Europe. The Academy's goal for 2014 is to create, train and develop up to 40 teenage referees, with the outlook to staff the entire Junior European Championships with Junior referees.
Measuring the success of the initiative will largely depend on the coming year, along with it's trials and challenges. Once the scheme has been piloted and proven, the ERC intend to issue all NTA's with the tools that have been developed.
The Academy is supported by several key partners. Sponsorship, gifts and support makes the Academy possible. Without or key partners, the Academy couldn't exist or be successful.
- All participants will receive an Academy Welcome Pack; which will include a branded t-shirt, whistle, boot bag and sports drink bottle.
- All participants will have access to direct coaching by some of the best referee coaches in Europe.
- All participants will be assigned a personal mentor (an elite international referee).
- All participants will receive the latest training in Touch refereeing, including Regional and local tournament participation.
- Although not all participants will be, 12 Referees will be selected to officiate at the Junior European Touch Championships.
- All participants will be invited to the Junior European Touch Championships Referee Dinner to meet the International Referees, elite coaches and European Referee Commission
- All Selected Referees will receive a full set of Touch Europe Referee International Kit (shirt, shorts/skort, socks).
- In 2014, the leading Academy referee of the Junior European Touch Championships will receive a fully paid for trip to Australia to attend the NSW Junior State Cup (or similar approved). This includes a return flight, accommodation, catering and access to the best referee coaching in the world. (Extending the stay is allowable, but costs not associated with the Tournament are at the participant's cost. The Australian Tournament may not be 2014, but will be no later than December 2015). [The Leading Referee will be selected by attending FIT Officials, endorsed by the Academy Facilitators and their decision is final. The Leading Referee criteria will be disseminated prior to the European Championships]
In it's first year, the programme will be piloted in key locations. This is to ensure it gets off the ground, be effectively managed and facilitated successfully. Students are accepted up to January 20 in each year.
The flyer for your school is attached below.
We encourage all aspiring referees, aged 14 – 18 to complete the online application by January 20 2014.
The programme is fully endorsed by Touch Europe Referees, and all participants are protected by the relevant WTA and ETA Child Protection Policy, as well as the Federation of International Touch Conduct Policy. All coaches and presenters are registered with DBS and have extensive experience working with current teenage referees. WTA and ETA Compliance officers (or registered teachers) will be present at all classroom and training days. Parents and guardians are encouraged to meet the team prior to the first training session.
No participant however will be contacted directly by phone, email or text, so participants must include parental / guardian contact details including an email address. All forms will be sent out prior to the first training session on the 26 January 2014.